Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sailing along...



Hello again, it's been a while...how's the kids?  Wait, wrong conversation...

Boater Safety...

Well, if you've been stalking me you've probably seen my Facebook post about boater's safety class.  I passed!  I took a two night course last week with my Dad, we fully recommend it if you're planning to be out on the water.  I should receive my nifty little card in the mail any day now.

We learned lots of information that could help us build our raft.  For instance, we have to have an all around viewable white light,  and a throw cushion (safety device, you throw out to overboard victims or at people you don't like).   We learned about give-ways (right of ways, except on the lake) and that there is no speed limit on the lake.  I'll be taking full advantage of that by traveling at a whopping speed of 2 miles an hour...seriously, that's the average speed of paddling a raft...


My instructor, David Ritzheimer & I



Funding...

As the chart of awesome shows, we have raised over $200 for the raft fund and are getting ever closer to reaching our goal of $300 to build the raft.  Please make your donations now by clicking the little gold Paypal button at the top of this blog or call the toll free at the bottom of your screen. (not really)




Design...

It's been quite a while since we have done anything in this category or at least not on the blog.  Today, I threw around some ideas about adding a roof/cover to the raft.  This is important for several reasons, shade and protection from rain being at the top of the list.  The design I've decided to go with is very simple....four pvc pipe poles, one mounted in each corner of the raft.  The front two poles will be taller than the back so that rain will run right down the tarp and off the back of the raft.  This design will provide shade while providing maximum visibility.  





No comments:

Post a Comment